The Willys Jeep began production in in 1940 in the early days of World War 2. It is often credited with being one of the vehicles that played a major role in the victory of the allied forces. Few vehicles exist today that played such a major part in shaping the modern world. In 1955, under new leadership by Kaiser Industries, Willys Motors began to promote their newest member of the CJ series, the CJ-5, a model that marked a significant departure from the “flat-fender” CJs, with its rounded front fender design and squeezed grille (to accommodate larger headlights). Influenced by the Korean War M38A1 Jeep, the CJ-5 included updates such as rounded fenders, a hood and body made of heavy gauge sheet metal, a larger windshield frame, increased length on the riding springs, form fitting front adjustable bucket seats, a deeper back-lit instrument panel, rear seating options for 4 passengers, and a new passenger car type handbrake located to the left of the driver underneath the instrument panel.